We thought it may be of interest to you, to hear from our in-house Holistic Nutritionist Tiffany Sale on what her favourite supplements are and why. This is the first of a 4-part series on Tiffany’s favourite supplements. We begin with Magnesium.
Magnesium is a mineral. It is found naturally in the earth, sea, plants, and animals (and that includes humans). Most of the magnesium found in our bodies is in bones. The balance is found in muscles, soft tissues, and fluids. It is very important to our bodies as every cell contains it and needs it to function properly. Here are a few of the top evidenced based benefits of magnesium.
- Magnesium supports many of the chemical reactions in our bodies. Examples are energy creation, protein creation, gene maintenance, muscle movement and nervous system regulation. Many people don’t get enough magnesium.
- Magnesium plays a critical role in brain function and mood and may help reduce symptoms of depression.
- Magnesium has been shown to lower the risk of Type 2 Diabetes in some people and lower blood sugar levels for those who have the disease.
- Magnesium can lower blood pressure in people with elevated levels.
- Magnesium has anti-inflammatory benefits. Low magnesium intake is linked to chronic inflammation, which is one of the drivers of aging, obesity, and chronic disease.
And there’s more. Much more.
If you would like to read more about these benefits or other evidenced based benefits of magnesium refer to this article written by Franzisk Spriztler published in Healthline magazine on September 3, 2018. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-magnesium-benefits