Cold and flu season are upon us. There are some things that you can do to help strengthen your immune system. This is list contains some of the most common tips to do so.
- Sleep is vital. It’s a fact. In adequate sleep or poor quality sleep makes you more susceptible to illness. Adults should aim for 7 hours of sleep per night. Teens and children need as much as 14 hours of sleep!
- Eat an abundance of whole plant foods. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes contain nutrients and antioxidants help decrease inflammation. Inflammation is linked to many health conditions such as heart disease and cancer. Whole foods are also rich in vitamin C and other nutrients, which boost immunity.
- Eat more health fats. Fats contained in things like olive and salmon also decrease inflammation.
- Feed your gut, eat fermented foods. Foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi. Kefir and natto contain good bacteria which are good for your gut. Having a healthy gut can help your body fight off harmful pathogens.
- Prevent dehydration, stay hydrated. Dehydration can negatively impact your physical performance which leaves you susceptible to illness. Drink plenty of water every day.
For a comprehensive personalized plan, we strongly recommend that you consult your health care practitioner. You can get more details on these tips or others by referring to this article https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-boost-immune-health