So, what makes walking so special? We all know that exercise is good for us. What’s the big deal?
Here are 5 benefits of walking that are not commonly known.
1. It helps control body weight. Studies have shown that people who walk briskly for about 30 minutes a day are 50% less likely to be affected by obesity-promoting genes, which makes it easier to control body weight.
2. It helps tame a sweet tooth. Walking for just 15 minutes can help reduce cravings for sugary snacks.
3. It reduces the risk of breast cancer. An American Cancer Society study has shown that women who walk seven or more hours a week are 14% less likely to develop breast cancer.
4. It helps with joint pain. Walking protects your joints by increasing synovial fluid production. This lubricates joints and protects the muscles that surround them.
5. It boosts your immune system. There is a direct correlation between walking and the strength of your immune system. People who walk 20 minutes or more daily are sick less often and for shorter periods than those who do not.
For more detailed information on the benefits of walking please click on the button below. If you wish to begin a walking program and are unsure of how to get started, consult a fitness professional.